If you are looking for a beautiful smile and improved self-confidence, cosmetic dentistry may be the answer for you. This specialized area of dentistry offers procedures and techniques to enhance your smile and create a sparkling new you.
Cosmetic dentistry focuses on improving your smile’s appearance through a variety of procedures. Although it doesn’t concentrate on addressing your oral health, there are overlapping benefits to both.
So what are some of the common procedures that cosmetic dentists perform? Here are some to consider:
• Teeth whitening –this popular procedure provides a quick boost to your smile. Stains caused by habits like coffee drinking and smoking can be removed, as well as reducing discolorations from medications like tetracycline. Teeth whitening also improves teeth yellowed from age, making you look younger and healthier.
• Porcelain veneers – these shells for the fronts of your teeth can alter the shape, color, and texture of your teeth. They also provide a natural-looking cover over broken and decayed teeth.
• Dentures – provide a complete or partial replacement of missing teeth due to decay, age, or trauma. Dentures are customized to meet each patient’s needs and comfort.
• Crowns – permanent repair for chipped or worn teeth. Made from porcelain, resin, or ceramic to match the natural tooth color, crowns are adhered over your natural tooth to improve appearance and function.
• Dental bridges – used to replace a missing tooth or gap between teeth, bridges fasten to your natural teeth on each side of the gap. They provide a secure, permanent restoration known to last ten years or more.
Other techniques performed by cosmetic dentists include gum surgery, dental fillings, orthodontic treatment, and dental implants. Consider consulting with a cosmetic dentist to see if any procedures might benefit you and restore your smile.
Contact our office to schedule a Cosmetic Dentistry consultation in our Birmingham dental office.
Restoring missing teeth with dental implants is the latest and greatest technique to give you your smile back. It offers many benefits such as comfort, aesthetics, security, and easy maintenance. If you are missing any teeth and would like to learn more about getting dental implants, you need to find a qualified and experienced dental professional for the job. Here are some tips on doing so.
Dentists or oral surgeons who perform dental implants should have training specifically in the procedure. Look for a professional with credentials like a dentistry degree from a reputable university, participation in continuing education programs, and membership in dental organizations.
Look online for reviews of the dentist and practice, and be sure to ask friends and family for recommendations. Word of mouth is often the best way to find a healthcare professional.
Examples of work
Ask to see before-and-after pictures of dental implants performed by the dentist. Request to see cases similar to yours.
A quality dental office should have the latest advancements in technology and equipment so that you will receive the most up-to-date care. Look for equipment like digital X-rays, chair side screens, and dental lasers. Also inquire about sedation or anesthesia methods available in the office.
The location of the office should factor into your decision as you choose a professional to perform your dental implant procedure, as well as the office hours and staff. You should feel confident in the care you’ll receive, and feel comfortable asking questions and receiving treatment. Implant treatment requires multiple visits, so choose a dentist who you don’t mind establishing a relationship with over time.
If you need a dentist in Birmingham contact us today
Missing teeth can put a damper on your active lifestyle. You may feel self-conscious about your appearance, experience limitations in diet, or have difficulty speaking. Without a full set of teeth, you risk gum degeneration, bone loss, and other oral health problems. Designed to mimic the look and feel of natural teeth, dental implants can rejuvenate your smile.
What is a dental implant?
A small titanium post that serves as an artificial tooth root, a dental implant is surgically positioned into your gums. Your dentist will place a permanent crown on each implant, which completes the replacement tooth. Implants can be used for one or more missing teeth.
Am I a candidate for dental implants?
In general, anyone with a missing tooth should consider dental implants. The key to successful implant placement is good oral health and sufficient bone structure to support the posts. If you don’t have adequate bone levels, your dentist may recommend a bone graft to correct that situation.
How long does the procedure take?
Receiving dental implants is a two-step process. During the first visit, a trained specialist will surgically implant the posts into your jawbone. Then, you will need to wait three to six months for healing and integration with the jawbone. Once this occurs, your dentist will place the permanent crowns on the implants, giving you a full smile.
How do I care for my implants?
Just like your natural teeth, your implants require daily care. Brush often and floss frequently. Regular dental checkups are also important, so schedule visits at least twice a year.
If you live in the Birmingham area contact us today
As with any surgery, there are benefits and risks that come with getting dental implants. This procedure to replace missing teeth is becoming increasingly popular, so here are some things to know if you are considering this type of treatment.
What are the benefits?
- Appearance – implants blend in with your smile and look very natural.
- Comfort – they function and feel like natural teeth.
- Support – implants support your jaw and avoid a “caved in” look to your face, preserving your youthful appearance.
- Sensitivity – many patients have less tooth and gum sensitivity after getting implants.
- Adjacent teeth – neighboring teeth are not affected.
- Durability – implants are usually there for life, not needing surgical replacement. Even if the artificial tooth needs replacing, it can be done without surgery.
- Speech – dental implants allow you to speak clearly, as you would with your real teeth.
- TMJ – replacing missing teeth helps prevent jaw disorders
- Bone loss – titanium posts implanted into your jaw can help prevent bone loss and gum recession.
What are the risks?
- Infection – gums and tissue may become infected without proper oral hygiene. It’s important to follow all recovery and maintenance instructions carefully.
- Failed integration – sometimes implants do not integrate properly with the bone. If the implants do not fuse, they can be uncomfortable or loose. When this happens, implants must be removed and can be redone after the area has healed.
- Sinus problems – your sinuses can be affected when implants are placed in the very back of your jaw, sometimes requiring sinus augmentation surgery.
- Nerve or tissue damage – rarely, implants damage nerves or blood vessels. This can cause pain, tingling, swelling, or numbness. This typically is not a risk when a qualified dentist or oral surgeon performs your implant procedure.
Dental implants dentist in Birmingham
Often, advertising for cosmetic dentistry focuses on women. Photos in magazines and on Web sites show attractive females with gorgeous smiles. Although these campaigns often target women, men can benefit from cosmetic dentistry too.
Professionally and personally, men have just as many reasons as women do to look their best. Your smile is one of the first things people notice about you. Having a vibrant, white smile can create a perception of self-assurance, intelligence, and warmth. Men who have cosmetic dental enhancements can enjoy the benefits of looking younger and feeling more confident.
Though you can opt for a total smile makeover, you don’t have to change everything to update your appearance. For a minimal investment, teeth whitening can make you look years younger. If you want to straighten teeth, talk with your dentist about Invisalign clear braces. Porcelain veneers can cover imperfections on front teeth and reveal a gorgeous, new image.
Not only can rejuvenating your smile boost your confidence, but it can also improve your oral health. Crooked teeth are actually harder to clean, which can lead to gum disease or decay. As well, small cavities can lead to the need for crowns or root canals if left untreated.
To enhance your smile, first find a cosmetic dentist you can trust. Talk with friends, relatives, and colleagues to get recommendations. Once you find the right person, schedule a consultation so that you can meet with the doctor and share your ideas. Why wait any longer to enjoy a sensational smile?
If you live in the Birmingham area contact us today
The changing seasons can prompt many people to want to change their appearance, perhaps through treating themselves to a brand-new smile. Your dentist in Birmingham can provide a number of different cosmetic dentistry and restorative treatments to help provide a beautifully healthy and natural looking smile.
Cosmetic and Restorative Options
Modern dentistry techniques are extremely sophisticated and your dentist can do a lot to improve your smile. Possible options include porcelain veneers that cover the front surfaces of your teeth, crowns to restore teeth damaged by tooth decay or trauma, dental bonding that helps improve the shape of the tooth in just one easy visit, and enamel reshaping to correct minor issues such as slightly overlapping teeth. Dental implants can be used to replace missing teeth, transforming a gappy smile into something far more pleasing.
Professional teeth whitening can quickly brighten up your smile, creating a youthful and healthy appearance. Your dentist in Birmingham can offer you in-office whitening that will lift the shade of your teeth in just an hour. If you prefer, you can have custom made whitening trays to use at home. Your dentist will provide you with the correct strength of whitening gel to safely bleach your teeth.
It’s never too late to straighten your teeth and adult orthodontics is increasingly popular. Ask your dentist about Invisalign clear braces that will discreetly straighten your smile without really affecting day-to-day activities.
Checkups and Professional Cleanings
Your first step should be to schedule an appointment for a checkup and professional cleaning. Your dentist will need to examine your mouth to make sure your teeth and gums are healthy before carrying out any cosmetic dentistry treatments. They’ll discuss the type of options that might help you, and can compile a treatment plan to improve your smile. A professional cleaning removes tartar buildup and gives your smile an added sparkle. It’s a great treatment for keeping teeth and gums healthy.
Our dental office is located in Bingham Farms